Saturday, April 30, 2011

Send the Rain

Ok, I don't know about you, but a lot of times when it rains it is very easy for me to become negative and get mad about my hair getting messed up or ruining my new pair of shoes or whatever other thing I can think of to make my day go wrong. And where I live in North Carolina we have gotten a bunch of rain and stormy weather recently, so you can only imagine how much I've been "down & out" about the weather and it's effects on me and my surroundings. It just about rained or was extremely windy and almost rainy every day for the last week now.  Every time I walked outside my hair would get messed up by the wind or rain and every time I would attempt to mow my yard it would start raining again.  In a week's time my grass had grown up to my knees.  Needless to say, I was pretty tired of the rain.  It's been pretty outside for the past two days though and I've been so encouraged about it and thanked God so much for the beautiful weather.
I went to a Mother-Daughter Banquet this afternoon with my mom, sister, mom-in-law, and sister-in-law and the theme was "Send the Rain" and the speaker brought a great truth to her lesson about why God sends the rain after some of the ladies from the church sang the song "Send the Rain".  In Deuteronomy 11 the Bible talks about the promise that God made about sending the ran if the people would "...hearken diligently unto my commandments which I command you this day, to love the LORD your God, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul, That I will give you the rain of your land in his due season..." (13 &14).  God tells us that if we will listen very carefully and follow his commandments with all your heart and soul, and do work for Him then He will send you the "rain" that you you need in your life in order to reap his blessings.  He made us a promise to send the rain for our crops and grass to grow and have water to drink just like he did for the spiritual rain that we need also.  We will never have his "showers of blessings" if we are constantly having the attitude of the people who sing the song "Rain, Rain, Go Away" because if the rain never comes than God can't fulfill His promise and send us the blessings and benefits that come after the rain is finished.  Some of us may not be be singing for the rain to go away but instead we are singing "It's Raining, It's Pouring" and that's not a good attitude to have either.  When we serve God and read our Bible and pray we should be asking God to send us the rain and be thankful for it instead of focusing on how much it's raining and how gloomy the world is because of it. Just because we are reading our Bible it doesn't mean we are actually getting something from God's word and we never will if we are just wanting the "Rain" that God's sending to hurry up and "pass through". The rain gives life to so many wonderful things in the world and makes sure that we are not in a drought all the time.  We have to have a desire for God to "Send us the Rain" if we also want the things He promised us and the blessings that come with it.
I do not want to be in a drought spiritually (or physically for that matter) so I guess that from now on I won't be so upset about God sending us the rain because I realize now all the wonderful promises that are being fulfilled because of it and the wonderful things that happen because of it.  I don't want to limit God sending the rain in my life physically or spiritually and want to make sure that I serve Him with all my heart and mean it so I can reap all his wonderful blessings afterwards that He has prepared for me if I will only prepare for Him to send it :)

1 comment: